According to Tiktok, which is social networking and video-sharing platform, the platform filters videos according to a number of factors, including its users’ ages.
Tiktok became one of the most downloaded apps last year as its popularity boomed. There are hundreds of millions of active Tiktok users under 18, however, which has raised privacy concerns for minors. According to Tok-tok’s safety center, the platform is marketed to users over 13, but those under 18s are barred from using the app.
After Tiktok committed to tightening its privacy settings in 2021, all accounts under 16 became private and users were no longer able to change their birthdates within the app once they had been set. It’s important to contact Tok-tok’s customer support team to change your date of birth if it’s inaccurate.
Changing Your Age or Birthday on Tiktok: How to Do It
It is possible to change your username on Tiktok as well as your profile picture any time you like. However, you can no longer alter your Tiktok birthday through the app controls.
If you want to change your age on Tiktok, you will need to contact the app’s customer support and ask them to update your birthday. If you need help, here are the steps.
- On your mobile device, launch the Tiktok app and tap on Me in the bottom-right corner.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, tap the ellipsis (three dots).
- On the next page, scroll to the bottom and tap Report a problem.
- Click on Profile and Account.
- On the next page, tap Edit Profile.
- Then select Other.
- On the next page, tap Still having trouble.
- You can type something along the lines of “I need to update my birthday on my account since the current date is incorrect.”. Please provide some identification so I can prove my real birthday and tap Report.
- If your account is associated with an email address, Tiktok support should contact you within a day or two. A representative should ask for a photo of your government-issued identification showing your birthday. You should receive an update to your Tiktok birthday once you send it to them.
How do I update my birthday on TikTok?
In an attempt to protect minors from accessing features intended for older users, TikTok removed the ability to change your birthday in an attempt to prevent them from accessing features that are meant for older users, such as direct messaging, gaining coins on TikTok, and starting TikTok live streams. It was discovered that some older users were changing their age on TikTok in order to access some of this extra functionality, so the option to do so was disabled.
One of the downsides to this update was that many adult users rushed through the signup process and entered a fake birthday during the process found that TikTok restricted their app use even though they were well above the minimum age required for certain features.
Can I Just Create a New Tiktok Account?
It is possible to open a new account with the correct birthday if you are unable to change your age on TikTok by the above method. The downside of this is that you will have to start from scratch as far as getting followers is concerned. On the other hand, you can also download all of your TikTok videos from your original account and then re-upload them with little hassle onto your new account.
The other possible solution would be to start a new TikTok account with your parent or guardian, which you could both manage together.